How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118789
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can i sue a emploryer because of a hardship that they fail

Customer Question

can i sue a emploryer because of a hardship that they fail to pay me my check on time twice this has cause me to loose an oppurtunity to get a place to stay i am currently in a homeless shelrter and i paid a deposit and in went into defolt because they fail to pay me on time and the owner let it go to someone else and i lost a $150
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: can u please call me i am very upset about this(###) ###-####
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: durham north corolina
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Failure to pay wages on time when due is a violation of the state wage law and federal wage law. One time late payment is not a big deal and is not something you can sue over, multiple or continuous late payments is a violation of law and you can file a complaint with the NC or US Department of Labor. If you want to sue for damages, you have to sue in small claims court based on the value of your wages without an attorney, since the amount you would be entitled to would be only an amount equal to the wages they did not pay on time and as such that amount would be less than it would cost for an attorney to represent you.
There is no need for an attorney though, as you can sue in small claims if the Department of Labor wage and hour division cannot resolve this for you and get damages for you.