How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 39187
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Legal Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a landlord, went to court on 10/18/16,was granted

Customer Question

i am a landlord , went to court on 10/18/16,was granted immediate
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: va
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: yes,went to premises this morning with sheriff ,could not enter because key would not fit door,sheriff could not wait for locksmith tenant moved out,can i enter and change lock ?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: the sheriff can return on 10/09/16,i have waited for two months already,i need to enter so i can rent property.
Submitted: 12 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  socrateaser replied 12 months ago.


Yes, you can enter and change the lock, if you provide at least 24 hour notice to the tenant.

So, what I would do is have a locksmith make you a key to fit the existing lock so that the tenant doesn't know that you have the key. That way you won't have to enter the property at all, and the tenant will continue to believe that you cannot enter the property -- until it's too late!

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!