How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 102584
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently working for someone as a live in care giver

Customer Question

I am currently working for someone as a live in care giver and found out there are hidden cameras throughout the apartment including the bathroom. What can be done about this. My privacy has been breached and i feel humiliated
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Delaware
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No i just found out yesterday while showering. Not sure what options I have
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My contact number is **********. Should I call the police and file a report?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation.

1) Someone in your situation does want to file a police report. At the very least, the bathroom camera is improper. It prohibited from installing a camera or other recording device "in any private place, without consent of the person or persons entitled to privacy there." Del. Code Ann. tit. 11, § 1335(2). The law also bars the use of hidden cameras to record individuals dressing or undressing in a private place. Del. Code Ann. tit. 11, § 1335(a)(6), -(7).

2) Anyone found responsible for the above may face a civil suit under Del. Code Ann. tit. 11, § 2409(a), as well as common law invasion of privacy doctrine, and seek actual and punitive damages.

3) If the cameras were placed there by the owners, they can try to claim that they were looking out for the ward. However that does not allow them to tape other individuals in the bathroom!

4) So yes, the first thing is to file a police report. Then, one wants to speak to an attorney face to face once it is known who the cameras actually belong to.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!