How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116710
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 17 year old who took our car and left without

Customer Question

I have a 17 year old who took our car and left without permission. She was missing for 9 hours. She had left our area & when finally "found", she returned to her 17 year old boyfriends dad's house where she has been staying for 5 days now. She is supposed to be on meds of Adderall and Wellbutrin for ADD, Depression, & Cognitive thinking issues. I found out the week prior to her leaving that she hadn't been taking her meds. She is still not currently doing so. If she had, I wouldn't be contacting you now. I am aware that at 17 she has the right to leave home. However, where she is now, is not only not a positive thing, but they are not communicating with me or trying to help me get my daughter back home. They are not encouraging her to get back on her meds. I want to know what I can do a out that.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Real Estate?? I am in Michigan. Please read my question. It is not about real estate.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I contacted the police when she took the car, but didn't really follow through as I did not want her arrested for a felony. After she was missing for 6 hours I then contacted them again because I was concerned for her safety. She has attempted once, and threatened several times, suicide. The police put the car plate out in the state system in case anyone came across her. But other than that, nothing official has been done. I don't know what it is that I can do.....
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
In this situation, you are still the legal guardian, so if you believe for her own safety she needs mental health counseling, you can file to have her involuntarily committed for a mental health evaluation and to try to get her back onto her medications. With her suicidal history you have every right and also a responsibility to go down to the court and file for an emergency mental health commitment and then have the police execute it and bring her to a facility for examination and evaluation. However, the downside to this is once the evaluation is done, you are stuck with their results if they find she does not need further care or medications.