P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience
11181181

My wife attends a medical college and they make the students

Customer Question

My wife attends a medical college and they make the students clean there building and room for free. She feels it she does not participate it will affect her grade and they tell all the students they have to clean . She had student loans to go to this school to obtain a degree not to clean the college building .
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 9 months ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
is it legal to make them clean there business for free. my wife feels if she does not clean it will affect her grade . also they allow a 14 year old in the financial aid dept handing out papers and see everyone personal income and financial information.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 8 months ago.

Well...this depends...is this a public school (state run)? Or a private school?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
private school but federal funded

Thanks
If it is a private school, there are no "due process" rights (due process applies only when dealing with governmental entities). The fact the school receives federal funding is not relevant for this issue.

So this will come down to the schools policies on this.
Specifically, she should review the schools policies (typically published as a "student handbook" or some similar name).

There is no law that prohibits this (a school can require students to work at the school, for example to help clean) but can only make it mandatory with a written policy. If there is no written policy? Then she has no obligation to do the work

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok so what about them letting a 14 year old child access to my wife financial aid papers and social security number . when the school has an audit the 14 year old is not in the financial aid office but any other time she there handling personal information.