How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118318
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 77 years old, recently had an aputation of my foot and

Customer Question

I am 77 years old, recently had an aputation of my foot and partial leg, wa fired from my job, just have Social Security. I am behind on my house payments and the mortgage comopany has placed a foreclosure sale on the house for 11/2/16. I cannot walk, llet alone lpack a houssehold. I heard there is a law that eldlerly cannot be foreclosed on. I am trying to make arrangements with them. bit that is not going well. What are my rights?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: Colorado. I live in Fruita, CO
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: from me? no I have been trying to do a mofification, and llearned yesterday they declined the modification.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I need to know what to do, I am confused and heart broken. Are there pro bono laawyers that an help?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am afraid that there is no law saying the elderly cannot be foreclosed on or evicted, if that were true then any elderly person or disabled person can just stop paying their mortgage or rent and nobody could ever do anything to them.
You would need to consider now getting a local consumer protection attorney who deals with mortgages and have them do a forensic loan audit and seek to go through the loan to prove how the bank is violating the terms of the loan with you. They do this to force the banks to modify the loans. You need to get to a local legal aid office or consumer protection attorney before the end of this week to get them to file suit for breach of the mortgage contract to seek to get the foreclosure stopped at least until they can examine the mortgage documents to determine if they can attack the loan.
You can get a local attorney from the Colorado Bar or from Colorado legal aid services:
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.