How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27757
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got an out of state ticket in Missouri a month ago but I

Customer Question

I got an out of state ticket in Missouri a month ago but I can't figure out how much I owe or even how to go about paying it; the officers told me to plead guilty and handle it online but the payment portal is either broken or doesn't have my info. Even tho it's on record, when I asked the courthouse how much it was they said they couldn't find that info but told me to fax the judge a letter to see if I can pay out of state. they also said I'd receive something in the mail but I haven't yet
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: the ticket was in Missouri; currently switching residency to Washington now
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I don't think so? I've no idea how to look any of that up
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: there's 2 tickets; one for running a red light and one for possession of marijuana
Submitted: 12 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 12 months ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 12 months ago.

Possession of less than 35 g. of marijuana in Missouri is a misdemeanor punishable by a maximum of a year in jail and/or a fine of $1,000. Unlike a traffic violation, a misdemeanor is not the kind of offense that would allow you to resolve this by remote by paying a fine. Misdemeanors are generally 'must appears.'

You want to avoid a warrant for your arrest and the ultimate suspension of your driving privileges. You can do that best by hiring a lawyer in Missouri and having him work to find out what's going on in your matters and to resolve as much of this for you as possibly can be done before you'd have to come back to court for the final resolution of your matter.

If you're not sure where to find a Missouri criminal lawyer to work this out for you, contact the Missouri State Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service and they can find you one. Their small referral fee includes a free half hour conversation with the attorney which you can have over the phone so that you won't have to make a special trip in, just to meet your lawyer.

If you require additional information, please post your follow up here on this question thread, and I’ll be happy to provide it. There's no additional charge for follow ups.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 11 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.