How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 8775
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife of 40 years left me while I was in the hospital she

Customer Question

My wife of 40 years left me while I was in the hospital she also emptyed my bank account. I have no way of making the house or car payment that we own jointly. She also got a protective order against me for reasons I am unaware of, I was not informed of the hearing until the day after the hearing. I do not know where she is or what her intentions are. I do not have a clue as what to do.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Arlington Virginia 22206
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: A restraining order of no contact next hearing 12/07/16
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: She and my daughter have used my ATM card and my checks to empty my Suntrust account, fraud investigation have begun.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer. I’m a licensed attorney with 36 years’ experience in family law, appeals, landlord-tenant, and other types of law. I look forward to helping you today.

Please note:This is general information and not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed, and no attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

Also – I will be typing my answer for you so I’ll be back in a few minutes.

I'm so sorry this has happened to you. It's horrible, especially since you were in the hospital and especially because she included your daughter in this! That's just awful and I'm really sorry. Now we have to get you out of this mess.

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 10 months ago.

You definitely need a lawyer. Were you aware of any marital issues at home? Did your wife indicate that there were issues or was she home less than usual? I hope that you can work things out but right now we have to get her to stop.

You're going to need an attorney, and the first thing the attorney is going to want to do is get an injunction or restraining order against her so that she stops touching assets and that she returns the assets. You should do this as soon as possible because in the meantime she can hide it or spend it. I can find lawyers for you i the Arlington area if you'd like. Just let me know.

Has she moved out? Has she taken her things? I want to help you so I'll need some additional information.

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 10 months ago.

I'm not ignoring your request for a phone call. Something happened on the other end, which the attorneys don't get involved in so you may want to reach out to customer service.

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 10 months ago.

We can talk here if you'd like in the meantime.

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 10 months ago.

Would you like to talk here? We can chat on here if you'd like. I am trying to help you.

Expert:  Maverick replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is Maverick. Please give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Maverick replied 10 months ago.

If you still want to go forward with a phone call, the cost is only $11.00 more. Please accept my offer and return here and type in your phone number so I may call you.

Please Note:

(1) The information I provide is general in nature and for educational purposes only. For example, it may help you identify the scope of receiving unbundled legal services from a local lawyer. It should not be construed as “legal advice” or as the rendition of “legal services” on any subject matter. I am not a specialist in any field. This information may not reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction and is not guaranteed to be correct or complete. No attorney-client relationship is established without a signed written agreement and our communications are not confidential. Please do not act or fail to act based on this information alone. If you need legal advice or services regarding a specific matter, you should consult in-person with a local lawyer who can guide you after reviewing all the pertinent details of your situation. This disclaimer also applies to any telephone communications we may have.

(2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours.

(3) When we are done, please assign a feedback rating.

Related Legal Questions