How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116704
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

OK here is what happened I stayed overnight at University in

Customer Question

JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: OK here is what happened I stayed overnight at University in I was getting ready to check out the next day when out of nowhere my doors are open and some stranger is in my room
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I called the front desk and ask why is a stranger in my room and how was he able to obtain a key to my room and she reimburse me for the night and gave me a gift certificate for another free night
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: However when I went to redeem my gift certificate they denied me because they say that my room smell of cigarette smoke and I do not smoke cigarettes I believe this is just an excuse for them to not honor there gift certificate and I feel very violated
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
It would be considered a breach of contract for them to not honor the certificate. You need to contact management and tell them what happened, tell them if they refuse to honor the certificate you will file an unfair and deceptive business practices claim with the Attorney General's Consumer Protection unit.
If they still refuse, then file your complaint to the state attorney general. If the attorney general cannot resolve it, you can file suit in small claims against the business for unfair and deceptive practices and can seek damages in the amount of the value of the certificate plus up to three times that value for their unfair practices in improperly denying you the certificate they gave you.