RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

I HAD HIP REPLACEMENT LAST JULY HADE TO BE DONE 3 IMES NOW I

Customer Question

I HAD HIP REPLACEMENT LAST JULY HADE TO BE DONE 3 IMES NOW I HAVE TROUBLE WALKIN FEEL VERY SICK EACH DAY NOW NOBODY KNOWS WHAT IS WRONG I THINK HE DID THIS TO ME WITH 3 SURGERY FOR ONE THING
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: FLORIDA
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: NO
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: SEE IF H DID THIS I CAN GO ATER HIM
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Thank you for your patience. I'm sorry to hear about what happened --it sounds awful.

Florida does allow persons to file suit against doctors, hospitals and other medical facilities/practioners who you believe are guilty of medical malpractice (medical negligence).

There are four basic elements to a medical malpractice case. They must all be present to form the basis for a claim, and an attorney must prove them all to succeed in a medical malpractice case. The four elements are duty, breach, causation, and damages.

Duty means that the health care professional owes an individual a duty to act reasonably and appropriately – that he or she was responsible for providing some type of care or treatment to a patient. This requirement is usually met whenever there is a physician-patient relationship. The duty is the duty to act within the “standard of care” (basically meaning reasonable and appropriate care).

Breach means that the health care professional has breached the duty he or she owes to the patient – that they have deviated from or fallen below the standard of care. Just as duty means that a doctor was responsible for providing reasonable care and treatment, breach means that he or she failed to do so.

Causation means that the health care professional’s breach of the standard of care caused or contributed to causing some harm to the patient. A simple example would be a patient that goes to a hospital with a broken leg, A first doctor misses the diagnosis and tells the patient to go home. Five minutes later, a second doctor correctly diagnoses the patient and treats the broken leg. The first doctor misdiagnosed the patient, but it didn’t cause or contribute to causing any harm because the second doctor provided treatment within minutes.

Damages just means that the patient sustained harm because of the doctor’s mistake. Think of malpractice as the medical equivalent of not paying attention and running a red light. If someone runs a red light and doesn’t hit someone, they made a mistake but it didn’t hurt anyone. Similarly, if a doctor makes a medical error but causes no harm to the patient, there are no damages. Damages can be your pain and suffering, your lost wages, future medical costs if you need further treatment as a result, and so on.

Medical malpractice cases can be very expensive to litigate, in part because they require expert witnesses (typically other doctors) to testify as to the standard of care and that the doctor/hospital breached that duty and how they breached. However, such cases are taken on contingency, meaning you don't pay fees or costs unless the lawyer or firm recovers money for you.

The only way to know if you have a good case or not is with a full case review. A firm is going to want you to get your medical records so that they can review them after speaking with you.

You can call the Florida Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service at 1***-***-**** fore help in finding an attorney. The referral service will give you a 30 minute consultation with a lawyer in your area versed in medical malpractice for $25.

If you need clarification about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating. Thank you!

Was there anything I could clarify for you or additional information you needed? If so, kindly REPLY and I'm happy to help further! If not, please kindly remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars at the top of the page. Attorneys on Just Answer are not employees of this site, and are not paid until you leave a positive rating for our time and assistance. Thank you.