How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 29969
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I borrowed a friends car to make the 2 hour trip to take my

Customer Question

I borrowed a friends car to make the 2 hour trip to take my daughter back home after a weekend visit. I could not figure out how to work the cruise control and after taking my exit I did not watch the speedometer close enough and was pulled over for going 84 mph in a 55. The vehicle I was driving was new to me and rode so smoothly that I could not tell how fast I was going. I've never been ticketed for this before and have no tickets on my record for at least 4 years although I have had a basic speeding ticket in the last 6-7 years. I had no idea I was going that fast not did I realize the ramifications of this. I am a single mother who lives in a small town (Petersburg IL) where I don't know anyone and desperately need to retain my license to get to the grocery stores and laundromat. My income is ssi and I supplement that by donating plasma twice a week in Springfield IL. I can earn about $300 a month donating plasma. I can make payments on any lawyers fees and fines if I can retain my license and am desperate for any advice/assistance in this matter. Thank you.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 9 months ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Driving more than 26 mph over the speed limit is a Class B misdemeanor, which means that you may be entitled to a free lawyer if you qualify, and it sounds like you will. The Constitution says that whenever a person might be deprived of their liberty, they have a right to have a lawyer help them out, even if they can't afford one. Jail is VERY unlikely here if you don't have a criminal record, but it is possible, so you can ask for a lawyer when you go to the court date. They are only allowed to say no if the district attorney is prepared to swear, on the record, that they will not ask for any time in jail. (And, again, you won't actually wind up in jail for something like this.) Most courts will allow you to make payments toward the fine if you ask them for a payment plan.

What the speeding ticket statute says is that a person's license will be suspended if they're convicted of speeding 26 mph over the speed limit or more on two or more separate occasions within a 2 year period AND one of them occurred in a construction zone. See 625 ILCS 5/11-605.1. There is no automatic suspension if you weren't in a construction zone and haven't been convicted of speeding in the past several years.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Did you have any other questions about this?