Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

How is it legal to deny me a NY driving license. I moved

Customer Question

how is it legal to deny me a NY driving license. I moved from Md with a active license, no tickets for years. I was issued a NY license and then was notified that I had to return it. A new law in 2012 about repeat offenders for DUIs. Yes I had multiple DUIs in Maryland, the last one being in 1987.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, each state controls their own laws regarding drivers licenses and a drivers license is a PRIVILEGE and not a right. This means that any state can decide to deny driving privileges to a license holder in their state. If you had multiple DUI offenses even in another state, NY can refuse to allow someone to obtain a license and when you go to DMV to get a license they do not check the driving records immediately it takes time for them to verify the drivers license record and if they find that someone has a license record that would bar license in NY the state will revoke the license. The reason they can do this though is there is no legal right to drive, it is at the discretion of each state that issues licenses.