Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My daughter is getting married. Her health coverage would be

Customer Question
almost non-existent under her new...
My daughter is getting married. Her health coverage would be almost non-existent under her new husbands insurance. can i legally keep her on my insurance if she is under 26?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
10/24/2016
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 1 year ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Sorry, but this is not true. Generally speaking, the current government law disallows young adults up to 26 to qualify for their parents' insurance plan if they are married.

So ONCE she gets married, she may be dropped. Before she gets married, she can qualify provided she is under 26.

There is a lot of misinformation online about the Affordable Care Act and it can get pretty confusing.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
At no time did any form we just filled out ask us if our child was married. She was not at the time we got the insurance. Are we legally required to remove her once she is married? Or to notify them?

I am sorry. I have to reverse my answer!

Marriage doesn’t affect eligibility for the 26 year rule, but it can affect cost assistance amounts on the Marketplace and Medicaid eligibility. She can remain on your policy until she is 26. However, her spouse and any children cannot be on your health insurance policy.

My apologies for earlier, as there was a misunderstanding when I read your original question.

Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.

Ely, Counselor at Law