Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I am trying to do a legal name change for my son who is 18.

Customer Question

I am trying to do a legal name change for my son who is 18. He just turned 18 this m month...he is still in high school. Since he is still school would we petition as a minor or an adult?
JA: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: oh yes, Texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

He would petition as an adult. Even though he is still in high school, for all purposes excluding child support, he is an adult. That means that he would petition HIMSELF actually, meaning you would not be filing this for him - he would be filing it himself.

Also since he is an adult now, there is no need for the parents to sign off on the petition.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.