Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Recently I purchased a vehicle from a company in Oshkosh WI.

Customer Question
The vehicle stopped working 2...
Recently I purchased a vehicle from a company in Oshkosh WI. The vehicle stopped working 2 days after we bought it. The vehicle has been in their shop for 3 weeks out of the last month and only starts 15% of the time. They refuse to take it back stating that they have no legal liability and that once the papers are signed it is now my problem. Is their anything I can do to fight this
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: The vehicle was used and as far as my wife and I were told anything that happens would be fixed for free as long as the problem occurred within the first 30 days
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: nothing to this point
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/24/2016
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 1 year ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Just to be clear, there was a 30 day limited warranty on it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I myself have missed work and spent numerous trips to their location over the last month. The bought the vehicle for $8500 and he said he will buy it back but for far less than what we paid
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is this something I can take them to small claims court over?

Thank you. When buying a used car, the vehicle is typically sold "as is" unless it is still under a manufacturers warranty or unless the seller provides a warranty, as in this case, was a 30 day warranty. As such, their legal obligation is for only that 30 day time period and they do need to fix/correct and issues that occur during that time. This is why, when buying a used car, it is always best to have it inspected by an independent third party, to see if there is anything wrong with it. They do not have to take the car back. However, if you want to sue for damages, you need to show they misrepresented something when the car was sold or failed to perform under the warranty. If you want to get out from this car, it is better to sell it on your own, then allow him to buy it back, since you will get less from him, then if you did this on your own. The missed work, is not something you can recover for and your damages would be those related to the vehicle and getting it properly working.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My next question would be if I did sell this vehicle to someone else and they had problems with it could they come back after me?

No, they could not. Unless you provide them with a warranty ( which I am sure you will not) nor misrepresent anything, they could not come back and sue you. You can advise the buyer, to have the car checked out, if they wanted to and place the burden on them, to perform their due diligence.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What should I expect to pay for this consultation?

You would only be obligated to pay what the agreed upon price was, which was $36, based upon what I can see.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What if I start a 7 day free membership if I needed more advice would that be a better direction

That is something which customer service would have to answer. They can explain your options and assist. That is outside the scope of what I am able to answer.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

LegalKnowledge, Attorney