How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116701
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm a small city councilman in Eastern Oregon. That probably

Customer Question

Hello, I'm a small city councilman in Eastern Oregon. That probably opens a can of worms just saying that statement. I cannot get an answer out of any government agency. If you city does not have a police force for the 10% tax. Where does the money go? Can the city keep it for other projects?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: This is North Powder, Oregon
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: The city council has banned the sale until the vote in November when it will be decided by the people of North Powder. We as a city would like to know how we can use the money for other uses.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Since I live in a small town of Eastern Oregon and I'm a councilman and the only one who supports the marijuana program, the city has done things that are not acceptable. It sort has been a nightmare.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unless the tax is a dedicated tax, the tax money goes into the general fund. If the tax was passed by voters as a dedicated tax, if there is no police force for it to go to then the council has to vote to change the dedication of the funds, keep the funds for the purpose of the dedication or refund the money to taxpayers. It all depends on how the tax was enacted and who enacted it. If the tax was enacted by the council, they can vote to change the dedication, if it was voted by the taxpayers, then there has to be something on the ballot to change it or it sits there until a police force is established.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.