Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I have a case pending where my wife and I are defendants. I

Customer Question
filed for an answer and...
I have a case pending where my wife and I are defendants. I filed for an answer and appearance, but my wife did not. Does she have to file as well and what happens if she does not?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: Illinois
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: A case has been filed against us in circuit court
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
10/24/2016
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Yes, she needs to file an Answer. If she doesn't, she will automatically lose the case, and she forfeits the right to defend herself. The answer can be as short as "Defendant [Name] denies the allegations in the Complaint and calls upon the Plaintiff to prove them," but she does have to respond to the Summons and Complaint to avoid a default.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any other questions about this?

Lucy, Esq., Attorney