Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  17 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I am married and live in a community property state. Should

Customer Question

I am married and live in a community property state. Should I pass away first, can I direct half of our estate to someone other than mt
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: We have up to date wills stating that everything goes to the spouse.I would like to change that.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just want to know if I can make a new will naming someone other than my husband to inhereit half of our estate.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell me what state you are in?

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Washington
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Ok, in a community property state, each spouse automatically owns half of any assets acquired during the marriage other than gifts or inheritances.

.

Since each spouse owns 50%, they are free to bequeath all of their assets, including their half of community property, to anyone they wish.

.

So to answer your question directly, yes you can change your will and leave your half of the community property to whomever you choose.

.

.

thanks