Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Wondering if it is NJ sate law to cover hair prosthesis

Customer Question

Wondering if it is NJ sate law to cover hair prosthesis (wig) for chemotherapy hair loss? I have BCBS but they say it is not covered.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes, I submitted a claim and they say it is not covered so I was going to go back to them to double check.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, a search of the NJ insurance laws found them to be silent on coverage for hair prosthesis for cancer patients. This would have to be up to each individual policy I am sorry to say. If your insurer does not cover them, you can check with some of the local cancer survivor and support groups because many times they provide assistance to obtain such wigs for patients.