How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33030
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am working and collecting social security. I am 72 years

Customer Question

I am working and collecting social security. I am 72 years old. should my employer be taking out social security? and If not how can I get a refund from ssi?
JA: What state is this in? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made? We have a 30 day refund policy so you can simply email***@******.*** and they will try to fix your problem or refund your money.
Customer: Alabama
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I am not sure what you are taking about. i am asking about social security being deducted from my pay.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that i am aware of
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to answering your question this morning.

Yes. As long as you're working in a job covered by social security, as are most jobs, you'll have to keep paying Social Security and Medicare taxes indefinitely, regardless of your age or benefit status.

Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.