Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Let me type it up and send it to you,My doctor broke the

Customer Question

Let me type it up and send it to you,My doctor broke the Hippocratic oath and call the police on me for taking a pain pill
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: Arkansas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: yes the police came to the dr office,and came into my room, and told me I couldnt leave
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: dont connect right now, I have to get the police report on monday my name is**********alma arkansas 72921 email is ***@******.***,I have pictures of the cops in my room, my phone number is(###) ###-####
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
A doctor cannot violate his duty of confidentiality to disclose patient drug use. So if the doctor violated this duty, then you have grounds to sue for breach of the duty of confidentiality and seek money damages. You also have grounds to file a complaint with the state medical board against the doctor for violating his duty of confidentiality.
Finally, you need to file a complaint with the US Department of Health and Human Services for a violation of HIPAA for illegally disclosing personal health information as the US DHHS is the only agency that can pursue claims under HIPAA and the doctor can be fined and even jailed for up to 5 years for violations of HIPAA.
You can take all of these actions at the same time and you should do so.