Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I have a pending lawsuit against my business partner. When

Customer Question
he was served last week...
I have a pending lawsuit against my business partner. When he was served last week he put the civil complaint brief on face book and Whats app a similiar online venue for our friends and colleges to see. He made a comment that stated "this is what happens when you take a boy and turn him into a man" My question is this do you think what he said is liable or slanderious. Do you think him posting the brief is illegal.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
10/22/2016
Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 1 year ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

He made a comment that stated "this is what happens when you take a boy and turn him into a man" My question is this do you think what he said is liable or slanderious.

Response 1: Yes, it is libel (written defamation--slander is verbal defamation) when he is referring to a grown man as a boy. However, in order to prevail in a libel (defamation) suit, you must be able to prove all of the elements of defamation. Generally, you must be able to prove (1) that a defamatory (false and slanderous) statement was made against you; (2) that there was a unprivileged publication of the statement to a third party (publication on Facebook); (3) if the defamatory statement is a matter of public concern, fault amounting at least to negligence on the part of the publisher—this may not apply to you if you are not a public figure; (4) then finally you have to prove that you suffered damages as a result of the defamation.

You would need to consult with a Civil Rights Attorney in your area to assist you in putting your claim together as these cases can be very difficult to win. Interview at least three Attorneys and/or review their web sites to see which one will be a better match for you. You want to look for someone who is not too busy to handle your case; someone who will return your phone calls in a timely manner, and someone who will give you prompt updates on your case.

Click here to find local Attorneys in your area who handle defamation cases:

Civil Rights Lawyers

Justia.com

findlaw.com

Do you think him posting the brief is illegal.

Response 2: No, unless there is an Order from the Court prohibiting the publication of the filings with the Court.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well said......Thanks you

You are quite Welcome!

Kindly take a minute to give a 5-star rating to my response so that I can receive proper credit for addressing your concerns. There is no additional cost to you for giving a 5-star rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law