Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I was married for 19 years and got divorced a year ago. I

Customer Question
was the primary care giver...
I was married for 19 years and got divorced a year ago. I was the primary care giver for my 3 children and was told many times that I was a wonderful, loving, and hard working person. I am a RN but my children always came first. My husband did not want children and did not spend much time with them. I took care of them and the household 90% of the time. My husband and I had problems the last two years of our marriage and I turned to alcohol to cope. During that time I did some things that I am not proud of, which were brought up at the time of the divorce. Therefore we both have custody but he has placement of the chidren. He has done everything to turn my beautiful children against me and threatens me that he will continue to do so. It is breaking my heart immensely. I pay for alot of what the kids need and now he is taking me back to court because he wants child support. I am not sure how much his income is but it is probably at least 4 times than what I make. I don't have enough money to pay my monthly bills and need to take money out of my settlement money which is dwindling fast. He wants $400.00 a month and I don't have it. Please tell me what I can do and if you can help me. Thank you very much!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
10/22/2016
Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

At this point you should file for a change of custody as that will be the only way to avoid a child support order. Even if you were undmployed judges would baseca child support order on minimum wage. By pushing for custody the judge may consider it.

Let me know if you have any additional questions. Otherwise a positive rating of 5 stars would be appreciated.

Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer