How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6390
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Having Immigration problem Receving secondary Interviws on

Customer Question

having Immigration problem Receving secondary Interviws on Arrival . Due to old traffic violatin in California.HOW CAN I grt this corrected with DHS
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location. Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Im in Florida
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO not naw
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Maverick replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok tx
Expert:  Maverick replied 9 months ago.

The best way would be to hire a CA criminal defense lawyer and have him make an appearance on your behalf regarding the traffic violation and see if it can be paid with a fine and shown as a closed case.

We are not permitted to refer any particular lawyer to JA's customers or to represent them; but this link may help you find the right lawyer.

Please Note:

(1) The information I provide is general in nature and for educational purposes only. For example, it may help you identify the scope of receiving unbundled legal services from a local lawyer. It should not be construed as “legal advice” or as the rendition of “legal services” on any subject matter. I am not a specialist in any field. This information may not reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction and is not guaranteed to be correct or complete. No attorney-client relationship is established without a signed written agreement and our communications are not confidential. Please do not act or fail to act based on this information alone. If you need legal advice or services regarding a specific matter, you should consult in-person with a local lawyer who can guide you after reviewing all the pertinent details of your situation. This disclaimer also applies to any telephone communications we may have.

(2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours.

(3) When we are done, please assign a feedback rating.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
but that's not the question! Im saying this is old "Due to old traffic violatin in California''..and IM asking"HOW CAN I grt this corrected with DHS!!!...get a lower is not a answer!
Expert:  Maverick replied 9 months ago.

Was the traffic violation ever taken care of? The fact that it is old is of no consequence if it still in play with your immigration rights. I doubt that you are going to travel to CA yourself from Florida and show up at each hearing to contest the citation [many hearings are potentially rescheduled 2-3 times before the final ruling is made].

Once the CA criminal court system issues an order that the citation is taken care of, then it will reflect that in the public records and in the DHS system.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it was in 1994 and was payd ! misdemeanor..
Expert:  Maverick replied 9 months ago.

There are any number of reasons why this may be showing as an open case even though you paid the fines. One may simply be court error. A local criminal defense lawyer will need to get the court to issue an order that says that the citation has been paid and taken care of. This may require you to submit proof at a hearing before that CA criminal court in the form of testimony that you paid this fine since I doubt you have any records that old. The State of CA will then have to cross examine your testimony and argue that it was not paid. The judge will then rule based on credibility of the evidence presented. If the court rules against you, then you will be asked to pay a new fine to take care of this.