How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thelawman2 Your Own Question
Thelawman2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1505
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Thelawman2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question regarding parental kidnapping. Colorado,

Customer Question

i have a question regarding parental kidnapping.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Colorado
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is Jim. How can I help you?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello, i am looking for information regarding parental kidnapping in colorado. my wife has taken my son out of the state and refuses to return. we do not have any divorce or custody order started or in place. Under colorado law did she still commit parental kidnapping, and can i call the police to have my son returned?
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 9 months ago.

When parents do not have any court orders entered to address parenting rights, visitation, decision making, or the other essential details necessary to protect parental rights, both parents must tread carefully. The lack of appropriate custody or visitation orders means that parents have not sought to obtain jurisdiction from any court to establish the kinds of orders that are essential. In the absence of a court order that describes the physical care of a child, both parents will have equal rights and the police will usually not interfere or dictate which parent has greater rights than the other.

Instead, what you might want to do is seek a court order that governs the custody of your child.