How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marsha411JD Your Own Question
Marsha411JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 20363
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Marsha411JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I lent my granddaughter $1600.00to buy a car. I had her sign

Customer Question

I lent my granddaughter $1600.00to buy a car. I had her sign and date a payment plan and had it witnessed and signed also. She never paid me any money and has sold me the car. What actions can I take to get my money back?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 11 months ago.


Thank you for the information and your question. The only option to get your money if she will not pay you back is to file a small claims court suit against her for the amount of money she owes you. Once you have a judgment, if she refuses to pay that you can ask the court to either do an asset hearing where they will take things of value from her to pay the debt, or you can ask the court for a garnishment order and you can have that executed against her bank account or her work.

Small claims court suits are fairly simple and designed for people who do not have attorneys. You can get the forms you need from your local court clerk's office.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the ratings box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you