How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116817
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sister has became disabled and has been hospitalized with

Customer Question

My sister has became disabled and has been hospitalized with no power of finance. We have the paperwork filled out but she is unable to sign. Is it legal to have a notary witness the document and notarize it, and will it be legal?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If she is still mentally competent and just cannot sign because of physical disability, then you can get her doctor, two witnesses and a notary in her presence to sign and each of them have to sign a statement she was mentally competent and understood what she was agreeing to. If she cannot do that, then in order to get the power of attorney for her, you need someone to get a local attorney to file a petition for guardianship in the local court and get the court to issue a guardianship or power of attorney to someone.