How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 42205
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter is 17 and has left the house for a week tonight

Customer Question

my daughter is 17 and has left the house for a week tonight and i just learned tonight this actually isn't ok. she believes since she is 17 she can do what she wants and as of Tuesday she hasn't gone to school either what are my rights as her mother and father.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: south Carolina
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no not as of yet because as of tonight i wasn't sure we could do anything
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i would like to know what the imancipation laws are for south Carolina
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 11 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 11 months ago.

You can call her in as a runaway to the police.If they pick her up they will return her to you.This offers you some protection if she commits a crime or damages property.This is the best thing to do and that way you are protected.Likely at some point they pcik her up since she is underage and there is a report on her as a runaway.This is the best you can do here.

I am so sorry you are having to deal with this.

Reference--she is child until age 18 here in SC

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
wow i am shocked right now i had an officer tell me last month that age of 17 she can legally leave. she is staying at a so called friends house and refuses to come home when i tell her again because she thinks she is 17 she doesn't have to listen
Expert:  Ray replied 11 months ago.

I would report her to the police here as a runaway.Otherwise if she misses school they can fine you or if she damages something here you are liable as parent.Call it in here.

Expert:  Ray replied 11 months ago.

Thanks again I wish you the best here.

If you can positive rate 5s tars it is much appreciated, have a great evening.