Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I was involved in a car accident in Nov of 2015. I was hit

Customer Question

Hello. I was involved in a car accident in Nov of 2015. I was hit in the rear by a woman while I sat at a red light. She was cited.
I incurred approximately 400.00 in medical bills. My Attorney called to say he has reached what he feels is a fair settlement. This settlement included me paying my own insurance 1800.00 for PIP. I realize Florida is a no-fault state, but why would I pay 1800.00 if my bills were only 400.00. Which I also paid.
Expert:  Maverick replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Maverick replied 9 months ago.

There must be some type of misunderstanding. Florida drivers are required to carry a minimum insurance of $10,000 in personal injury protection (PIP) benefits to pay for medical expenses and lost wages. If you medical bills were $400.00 then those should be covered by your PIP insurance and you should not be having to pay out anything. You may have signed a fee agreement with the lawyer's office that is causing the $2,200.00 loss.

Please Note:

(1) The information I provide is general in nature and for educational purposes only. For example, it may help you identify the scope of receiving unbundled legal services from a local lawyer. It should not be construed as “legal advice” or as the rendition of “legal services” on any subject matter. I am not a specialist in any field. This information may not reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction and is not guaranteed to be correct or complete. No attorney-client relationship is established without a signed written agreement and our communications are not confidential. Please do not act or fail to act based on this information alone. If you need legal advice or services regarding a specific matter, you should consult in-person with a local lawyer who can guide you after reviewing all the pertinent details of your situation. This disclaimer also applies to any telephone communications we may have.

(2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours.

(3) When we are done, please assign a feedback rating.