Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

Had recent hearing re: Landlord Tenant dispute and was given

Customer Question

Had recent hearing re: Landlord Tenant dispute and was given wrong filing advice by legal professional can I do anything? A lot also was told that judge holding court was not authorized to hear case.Help!!!!
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 11 months ago.

Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.

When you say "legal professional," are you referring to an attorney you hired?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Paralegal

How long ago did this happen? What was the result of the bad advice?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Last Friday, I lost my window to file, and I am looking at an imminent lock out on Monday.

Since this was advice from a paralegal and not an attorney with whom you had an attorney-client relationship, there isn't much that can be done as recourse on the paralegal. As far as missing the window to file, the best you could do is to file a motion with the court asking for extended time to file, and then file your response as you would have if it had been filed on time. Keep in mind, however, that the judge is under no legal obligation to accept a late filing, but it is within his discretion to do so if he wants. Other than that, there isn't much you can do. People representing themselves are held to the same standard as an attorney would be and are expected by the judge to know the rules. Judges do tend to show more leniency to people representing themselves in situations like this, but like I said, they are under no obligation to do so.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I also told U that whomever filled in for the Jud GB e was unqualified to do so.Can I get a real judge to rule on the?

I don't really know enough about the specifics of that situation to say one way or another.

I'm sorry, but I just can't say, based on the facts I have, whether a particular fill in judge was legally qualified to hear your case.

I hope that answers your question. If not, feel free to ask follow up questions. If so, please remember to "rate" my answer before you go.