How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117437
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I wonder if you can. I need +,.. I am disabled so please be

This answer was rated:

I wonder if you can. I need +
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: .
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: .
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: hi,
JA: Hello. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: I am disabled so please be patient.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What is your question for us that we can assist you with?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am recently divorced and everything went wrong. the judge order ed me to pay $600 a month alimony. She authorized a lein
on my social security and said that I am responsible if they do not pay it. social security did not pay it. It is 3 months over due
I don't have it. The judge did not order my ex to return some of my items as my ex said I sold them. Then she told her attorney
she thinks that I sold them. I get aids and attendance as of 6/13. the judge thought that I was always getting it. I was not. Ijust got a nasty email from my atty. telling me that she would have my ex file a contemotf court motion. what do I do? I can always say that social securitytold me I can not pay it since they are involved. How do I get my items back? she has them,
what do I do about the past due? Please do not tell me to see an atty. as I can not afford one, that is why I went perse.
Thank you for your reply.
Why did social security not pay if they received the proper order from the court?
Have you checked with Social Security?
Do you have proof she still has your items?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Social Security said they did not get the paper work. I have spoken to them 3 times alreadt
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
her lawyer told me she was very admentant that she does not have them, I believe she is lying
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
she always taunded me that I would never get it
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
what do I do about the past arears, that I owe??
Thank you for your reply.
First thing you need to do is respond to the attorney and inform them that you spoke with SSA and they claim they have not received the court paperwork and tell the attorney that you are willing to go to SSA immediately with an original copy of the paperwork from the court to work on fixing this issue.
The attorney knows that if the issue is caused by Social Security they will not win a contempt of court against you, so most attorneys will be reasonable with you and allow you to personally go to SSA office locally with the paperwork. When you do so, you need to send the attorney something from SSA showing they have received the claim or at least email the attorney and let them know you have personally delivered the papers.
I know going to SSA in person is a pain and may be difficult, but it is a lot less of a headache in the long run than letting the attorney file the contempt motion and having to fight it in court.
If SSA does not do anything when you bring them the paperwork, then YOU need to file a motion to compel in court and ask the court for an order to SSA to compel them to comply with the court order, which is where you serve SSA local office with the notice of motion and motion and force them to come to court and explain to the judge why they are not complying with the court's orders.
You can get SSA to make up the arrears if this was their fault or you would have to negotiate with the attorney to make up the arrears over several payments by adding extra money to the future monthly payments, that is all you can do.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
everything she has said are lies?? I believe that she has submitted fraudulent bank statements
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
that means that social security will deduct everything all at once and I will tnd up penniless and homeless.

Thank you for your reply.

If she is lying, you need to file a motion for contempt yourself in court and bring in proof she is not providing truthful information to the court. SSA will generally NOT deduct everything at once, they will not leave you with nothing.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
what do I do with what the judge overlooked. the judge thought thatn I was always getting the aid amd attendance from the V.A.
I started getting nit on 6/13/13
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
sorry my computer is messed up.
Thank you for your reply.
You need to file a motion to reconsider and point out what the judge overlooked and ask him to look at it again and attach your proof to see if he will modify the judgment. If he refuses, then you can file a notice of appeal and appeal it to the court of appeals.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK. let me see if I have this straight. 1st. go to social security with the paperwork and try to sort this out. Then as a last resort
try to negotiate with the atty.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
THANK YOU, ***** ***** GREAT!!!! Was getting worried.
Then file my own motion for contempt, because of her fraudulent bank statements. They don't have a beginning or ending
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
last but not least try to get the judge to reconsider the alimony
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, those would be the correct steps.
You can ask the judge to reconsider alimony based on your ability to pay, which is a major consideration in awarding alimony along with the needs of your former spouse.
You can file your own contempt motion on her bank statements.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
do I need a trial transcript for the judge. Do I get it from the court?? Where do I get it from???
Thank you for your reply.
You do not need a transcript for the hearing court judge, but if you appeal you have to file a transcript request with the court reporter and must pay for the transcript.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I do not know what I would have done with out you. No wonder you are on my favorit list. Thanks so much!!!!!
have a great night
Thank you for your reply.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you