Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am currently going through a divorce with a woman that I

Customer Question
have 2 daughters with. We...
I am currently going through a divorce with a woman that I have 2 daughters with. We both have legal custody over our children with designated days by the California Superior Court. She violated the order numerous times by not returning the children to me, changed their schools without my consent & caused me trouble to finally get my children back on the specified days. I would like to pursue legal punishment towards her.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
10/19/2016
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 year ago

You wold file a motion for contempt here and they schedule a hearing called a show cause, she has to appear and show cause why she should not be held in contempt.Here there is a pattern that she has not followed the courts orders.

Forms

http://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/fl410.pdf

Law for reference

http://farzadlaw.com/contempt-court-divorce-california-law-procedure/

This is filed under same court and case number ***** the prior orders were entered.You will also need a certified copy of the orders to attach to this so the court can see what she was ordered to do.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 year ago

In California, a contempt proceeding in family law cases is initiated by the filing of an Order to Show Cause and Affidavit for Contempt with the Court. The person alleged of being contempt, the “citee,” is then served with a copy of the papers.

The facts of the case are outlined in an “affidavit of contempt.” This type of document sets forth the type of order violated, how the order was violated and when the violation occurred. Jurisdiction will occur when there are enough supporting facts that contempt has been made. The citee must in turn be notified of the charge and the time and place for the court hearing.

The decision for the contempt charge cannot be decided on the moving and responding papers alone. The citee is entitled to a formal hearing and be allowed to testify, call in witnesses and present evidence if needed in defense of the charge.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thank you for your information, i appreciate it! will you be able to assist me in filling out this form? i can provide you with supporting information
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 year ago

I can look at your document if you can post it here.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
which document would you like to see? i'm attempting to fill out the ORDER TO SHOW CAUSE & AFFIDAVIT FOR CONTEMPT. I have the legal custody forms from the courthouse as well. I want to serve her for violating the custody order. It was not right nor fair to me as a loving father to my children
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 year ago

If you post the order/affidavit will be happy to look at it, thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
okay, so you want a copy of our custody order
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 year ago

That would be helpful too.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay, give me one moment & I will upload it
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 year ago

If you want to do unlimited chat here I sent you an offer.

Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 year ago

If you accept you can ask away I will review and comment and answer follow up.Thanks again.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
attached you will find the order.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
page 2
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
3
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
4
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
5
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
6
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
last page.
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 year ago

So are you going to post the order/affidavit here, thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i have posted only the legal order for our children. now i want to file against her for keeping my daughters for 2 weeks & changing their schools
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 year ago

So here are the forms to file and seek to enforce the orders.

Forms

Law for reference

Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 year ago

These are the forms you use, I gave you these above and you would complete and file them in same court to try and enforce the custody and visitation , etc orders.The court can hold her in contempt and jail/fine her for violations.

I wish you the best here.

Ray, Lawyer