Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am in a residency training program. My program director

Customer Question
owns the outpatient clinic we...
I am in a residency training program. My program director owns the outpatient clinic we have to rotate in. We found out that the clinic has been billing Medicaid unethically. Even though all the patient encounters are billed under my attending's account, my name is ***** ***** over the charts. I am afraid that I will be dragged into any legal actions shall an audit/lawsuit open. I cannot report the unethical practice to the program because of the aforementioned conflict of interest. Will I be legally responsible for the medicaid frauds if I am in a training program. If so, what could I do in this case to protect myself from any future consequences?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
10/19/2016
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If they found you have done something wrong, you could be personally liable, but you will need the proof you had nothing to do with their billing practices to protect yourself from any allegations. It would not be a conflict of interest to file a complaint to Medicaid that you believe there are unethical billing practices being carried out without knowledge of the residents and that the attending names are ***** ***** charts but did not participate in or have knowledge of the billing until they have recently discovered it. Reporting it is the best way to clear yourself of any wrongdoing, since you have no control over the billing practices.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney