Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

How do I find out if I lost my right to own a firearm?

Customer Question
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
10/19/2016
Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Attorney replied 1 year ago
RobertJDFL, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Thank you for your patience.

You could have a background check down which would show your criminal record and should also show if you have had your gun rights revoked. However, there are very few ways to to lose your gun rights. Generally they are:

1) Conviction for a felony (crimes punishable by a sentence of more than a year in prison)
2) Conviction of a crime involving domestic violence ( whether misdemeanor or felony)
3) You have been adjudicated by a court to be mentally incapacitated or have been institutionalized in a mental hospital.

If your conviction has been set aside, expunged, pardoned or you have otherwise later had gun rights restored, then the restriction on not owning a weapon would not apply.

If you need clarification about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating. Thank you!

Was there anything I could clarify about my answer or any additional information you needed? If so, please REPLY and I'll be happy to assist further. Otherwise, I would kindly ask that you remember to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars so that I am paid for my time and assistance. Thank you!

RobertJDFL, Attorney