How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27229
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Question about Minor Name Changes....All signatures obtained

This answer was rated:

Question about Minor Name Changes....All signatures obtained and no objection from father. I am domicillary parent and we have no custody disagreements. Once forms have been filed and court costs paid, is this a lengthy process?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: Louisiana
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: All documents filed 9/21/2016, 4 minor children
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just trying to get some advice on how to follow up on the progress of the cases. I was told to call and check the status, which I have done twice and no one seems to know anything.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

No, it should not be. The reason why I say this is because all parties are in agreement and there is no objection from the father. As such, it is uncontested. If everything have been filed, you may want to contact the clerk in the family division and speak with them about setting this on the judges docket for hearing. If everything was filed close to a month ago, a hearing date should be set to finalize this and the moving party can go before the Judge.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
When I filed all of the paperwork, 3 of the cases went to 1 judge and 1 case went to a different family Court Judge. I was told at the time of filing that normally when both parties are in agreement, there would be no actual hearing in court, the judge would simply sign. Does that seem accurate?

Yes, as long as the documents are in order, unless the Judge has any questions. Sometimes, the Judge will want to speak with one or both parties and if you have not heard anything, you can call the judicial assistant of the Judge and see if he/she can give you a status of where the papers are, in the signing process.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you. I will follow up with the offices of each judge.

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated Thank you.

LegalKnowledge and 9 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you