How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MIAMILAW1127 Your Own Question
MIAMILAW1127, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 755
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
MIAMILAW1127 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife had stage 4 breast cancer. She had been fighting for

Customer Question

My wife had stage 4 breast cancer. She had been fighting for a little over two years and as you could imagine the medical bills are quite high. My wife had been receiving a bill in her name account number say 123456 balance $2500. She recently passed away I received a bill in the mail same account number but it know has my name and a Guarantor Account Balance of $1500. A letter that says Thank you for choosing them as my health care provider. They have determined that you may be eligible for a discount under there financial assistant policy prompting a partial adjustment to YOUR balance. The decision was made based on information they accessed from public databases. So can they do this and how can they make me a Guarantor? Also my wife has benefits Individual 401k and life insurance should I be scared about them coming after that. She also had a few credit cards in her name but on a joint account which the bank is trying to get me to up my line of credit or visa credit and transfer that dept to me. One more quick thing I have a few titles that are in both of our names but most of them are just in my name. I would love some help on this topic I don't need any more stress. I am also no longer working and am trying to apply for social security and possibly medicade. I just need some good advice. Thank you
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 10 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

First, I am very sorry for your loss.

The first thing you need to do is open your wife's estate in probate court. This involves opening a case and notifying all of her creditors that she has passed away so they can file their claims. They would need to get paid back from her estate prior to you inheriting anything of hers. In other words, you are still responsible for paying your wife's creditors even though she has passed away. I suggest you find a local probate attorney to assist you with the handling of her estate and transferring everything to your name.

I hope this helps. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Thank you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
how do creditors know about her estates. Also if they start making me the guarantor on some things why would i not make arangements myself with her creditors instead of them taking her estates that does not make much sence. My main question then is how can they make me the guarantor.
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 10 months ago.

You need to notify them.

They can make you the guarantor because you are her husband and the debts were held jointly.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How do you know they wear held jointly all of my wifes medical expenses wear hers. I do live in utah. My wife did not have any estates and I am the benificary on her benefits.
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 10 months ago.

Whenever a married couple incurs a debt or asset, it is considered marital property and both the husband and wife are responsible for it.

Related Legal Questions