LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

What is Considered Desertion in Divorce Law in WV? Sorry,

Customer Question

What is Considered Desertion in Divorce Law in WV?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Sorry, WV
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: What evidence is needed WV for Adultery also in WV
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 11 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Willful desertion or abandonment for six months is a ground for divorce from marriage in West Virginia. Desertion in divorce law is the voluntary separation of one of the married parties from the other. In order to prove desertion, it must be shown that a party to the marriage broke off cohabitation and that there was an intent to desert in the mind of the individual who broke off the cohabitation. In order to prove desertion, both of these elements must be made. A mere separation, agreed to by both parties is not considered a desertion by either party. This means that if the separation of a husband and wife is agreed to, or if one of the parties goes along with the separation, a suit for divorce on the grounds of desertion cannot be maintained.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.