Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

IF CONVICTED OF TWO CLASS 3 FELONIES, HOW WOULD I LEGALLY

Customer Question

IF CONVICTED OF TWO CLASS 3 FELONIES, HOW WOULD I LEGALLY OBTAIN A HANDGUN?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am sorry, sometimes customers come here asking difficult questions like the one you posed to which there is no happy outcome. If you have two class 3 felony convictions, the only two options would be 1) having the convictions vacated by the court by filing a motion for post conviction relief (rarely granted) or 2) filing a petition for pardon to the board of pardon and parole to get the governor to grant a pardon with full restoration of rights including gun rights (very few of these are granted each year and you may have to apply for several years to get one).

There are no other ways for someone who is a convicted felon to possess a firearm.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My felonies were non violent type and only convicted to 3 month sentence. What about the 1965 amendment to the federal firearms act, stating if there is no public safety risk then I may be granted ownership privilege . Also, the conviction has to be punishable by sentence up to one year ?
Thank you for your reply.

If they were felony convictions, then even if you were only sentenced to 3 months, the fact is they were felony convictions and you have to obtain the pardon to have the rights restored.