How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 102584
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I messed up. I messed up big time.... I created a fake

Customer Question

I messed up. I messed up big time.... I created a fake profile on facebook and I chatted and received pictures of a minor... I need help. What do I do??
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Please tell me more about the situation. What happened exactly? And are you being contacted/blackmailed by the minor or their parents to pay money or else they go to the police?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The cops came and took my laptop and phone.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Can you please be specific as to what happened? Why did you create a fake FB profile to begin with? Who did you chat with? Were you specifically asking for photographs of minors? How did the police become involved? Etc.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the cops were informed by either the person I created the fake profile as or the minor. and they tracked it to me. I am so scared, I have a family, I didn't mean to do this. This happened Friday October 14th, I have gotten no sleep, and I cannot eat.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know why I created the profile. I cant honestly answer why I did that. I did not know they were minors when asking for pictures or after. The police informed me they were minors.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Okay, thank you. lastly, please tell me:

1) What state are you in?

2) What state is the minor in?

3) Did you receive photos that were illegal?

4) What specifically are you asking, i.e. what can I answer for you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she sent photos of herself that are illegal. 4)I guess I am asking, what should I do? I am scared, I don't know what to do. When the police came I answered everything they asked honestly thinking that might help me. Should I contact a local attorney or go out of town for this?
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Someone in your situation wants to get an attorney as soon as possible. Going out of town will only make someone in your situation look guilty. So fleeing jurisdiction is not a good idea.

May I recommend attorneys are vetted and qualified. You should be able to find an attorney you are confident with and whom you can trust, and who is available ASAP. You want a criminal law attorney.

The police will scan the phone and computer for any illicit imagery, and then the prosecutor will decide whether or not to charge someone in your situation based on whatever images they find. See HERE for the relevant state statutes.

If the police ask to interview you, someone in your situation wants to use an attorney in any interview. This is because anything you say can be used against you. Note that there is not even a mandate to speak with the police - your attorney can choose to have a controlled interview, or, may simply respond via writing, or, decline it all together.

Good luck.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.