How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27591
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a real estate rental question about a property in

This answer was rated:

I have a real estate rental question about a property in Castle Rock , Colorado
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Colorado
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Can you please share with me what your question is?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I cosigned a two year lease with my twin 21 year old sons in Colorado. They have lived there for 8 months and really would like to move. The landlord just sent them and me a final notice of violations to the property , including lawn work , fixing gate etc.
They said they had till nov. 12 to fix them and will conduct weekly inspections until then. If they are not fixed they will be forced to vacate immediately. They would like to move but maybe not immediately as they have a dog etc. What do you think? I guess the 2900 security deposit is gone.

Do you know why they refuse to fix the violations? If they are required to perform these things, why not just correct them, so they can remain?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'd rather not call but email

Not a problem. We can speak in this chat

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
They have been telling me they are fixing the lawn etc. One of my boys really wants to stay and keeps saying he is fixing everything. The other is leaving for 3 months. and wants to move ,it is really far from everything. The rent is too high and they are out too far from everything. Can they take this as an opportunity to move? Fix everything they can and get out of the lease?

Thank you for the reply. If they fix everything that is in violation of the lease and cure this, they can stay. If they refuse and continue to be in violation, the landlord can proceed with the eviction. If the landlord evicts, he can use the deposit to pay for and cure the obligations which they have and sue for the additional unpaid rent, until a new tenant is found and takes possession. Moreover, the boys will have an eviction on their records so it could be a problem down the road when they try and rent and since you signed, you could be liable for money owed as well. I think it would be better to fix the violations and then try and find someone to sublease the entire rental or the one brothers share, who wants to move.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok that is helpful will try to pass this on

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated Thank you.

LegalKnowledge and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you