How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald, Esq Your Own Question
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3991
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Gerald, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dad got deported and he left me his truck how do i

Customer Question

my dad got deported and he left me his truck how do i legally keep it because I'm doing payments on it and i don't want my step mother to try to take it from me
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the truck?
Customer: california and its a 2016
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 10 months ago.


Thnak you for standing by. Is your father able to mail you a limited power of attorney from where he is?

If so that would be the easiest way for you to trnasfer the title into you name. Simply have him sign a Limited Power of Attorney authorizing you to transfer the title of the car. Then you can transfer it into your own name.

Here is a sample form for a POA that you can edit to meet your needs. Simply mail it to your father and have him sign it in front of a Notary or Bank official and mail it back to you.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Please feel free to ask any follow up questions that you have.

Kind regards,