Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My friend owed me money so she gave me a signed title the

Customer Question
paperwork needed to obtain the...
My friend owed me money so she gave me a signed title the paperwork needed to obtain the new title and the keys. Now she is trying to say i stole tge car. What should i do?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: She says she contacted the local police department. I dont want any legal trouble. What should i do?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The title isnt even in her name its someone else. I just dont want to go to DMV and get in trouble for anything
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/17/2016
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

How is she explaining that she signed the title?

Or did someone sign the title since it was in someone else's name?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Its all in someone elses name. She bought the car from someone else and hadnt switched it over yet. So she basically handed me all the paperwork she had when she purchased it
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i have a signed title. Affidavit for new title stating she sold the car for $350 and the keys along with the vehicle

Do you have any paperwork on the money she owes you?

The affidavit is from her?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The affidavit if from the lady whos name is ***** ***** title.

Have you been contacted by anyone from the police department yet?

You mention that "she says...". Did she try to get you to give the car back or what was the purpose in her telling you that?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
basically she handed me everything she was given when she purchased it

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have not been contacted by anyone in law enforcement and she is saying all this to mutual friends social media etc. I haven't been contacted by her. I have a threatening voicemail from her mother but outside of that i have heard nothing fron them

There is not a lot you need to do right now.

If you are contacted by the police under no circumstances should you give them a statement without a lawyer present and representing you. If you want to be prepared, then you can go ahead and hire the lawyer now and they can be "on stand by" in case the police call or you get arrested, which happens sometimes. Other than that there is not much you need to do right now.

You could also sue her for the remainder of the money she owes you and in the same lawsuit have the judge declare that the car is yours since she gave it to you and then the judge can also establish how much credit she should get for the car. Normally it would have to be sold at auction and then that amount applied but if you sue this would work as well.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.

I have to step away for about an hour. If you post any follow up questions I will pick up and continue when I return.

If you don't have any follow ups then I'd ask you to please not forget to leave a Positive Rating.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I cant afford a lawyer hell i jist paid you guys $35 i dont have. I am not in a position to be able to go to jail. Should i contavt the police deoartment and see what they have to say??

No, it's better not to talk to them at all. The problem is that anything you say can be used against you and if you call them and voluntarily make a statement then there is no realistic chance of getting it suppressed.

In addition, the police may remember the conversation much differently than you do and judges/juries tend to believe what the police say. I have seen a number of people contact the police and give statements "trying to clear things up" and end up facing charges because the police claim that person confessed.

Between contacting them without a lawyer and saying nothing, saying nothing is the much better idea.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney