How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6392
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I am a US citizen living outside the country, with a

Customer Question

If I am a US citizen living outside the country, with a stock account and an annuity in the USA, can I put a TOD on those accounts? I think for the annuity, I have to be resident in the US, but I'm not sure re the stocks. PH
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: No this is just the question I was trying to research on line.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  bkb1956 replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

As a U.S. citizen, you can request a TOD for both the stock account and annuity. You will request and complete a beneficiary designation form from each entity so they have it on file. This will allow the assets in each account to pass directly to the beneficiary named.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,


Customer: replied 10 months ago.
When I got the TOD form for the annuity, I would have had to sign that I was resident in the US, but as I said in my question, I am not. The question is: since I am not resident in the USA (living in Canada, dual citizen), am I able to use the TOD on my stock account or my annuity?
Expert:  bkb1956 replied 10 months ago.

TOD forms are governed by state laws. I will forward this question to Customer Service to have it transferred to the legal category. There is no need to respond because that will delay the transfer.

Expert:  Maverick replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is Maverick. Please give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Maverick replied 10 months ago.

Here is the uniform TOD act.

Here is a list of the states that have adopted it.

I do not see any requirement that you must be a resident to participate. This may be a requirement that is imposed by the private brokerage company that you are using. You may want to inquire with other brokers and see if they do not have such a requirement.

Please Note:

(1) The information I provide is general in nature and for educational purposes only. For example, it may help you identify the scope of receiving unbundled legal services from a local lawyer. It should not be construed as “legal advice” or as the rendition of “legal services” on any subject matter. I am not a specialist in any field. This information may not reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction and is not guaranteed to be correct or complete. No attorney-client relationship is established without a signed written agreement and our communications are not confidential. Please do not act or fail to act based on this information alone. If you need legal advice or services regarding a specific matter, you should consult in-person with a local lawyer who can guide you after reviewing all the pertinent details of your situation. This disclaimer also applies to any telephone communications we may have.

(2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours.

(3) When we are done, please assign a feedback rating.

Related Legal Questions