How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27713
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Wanting to get info on transfer a probation from Tennessee

Customer Question

Good morning, wanting to get info on transfer a probation from Tennessee to Florida. And what does ICOTS stands for?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Leaving the state of Tennessee coming to Flordia
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: He's in compliance and good standing. His case was a drug charge of 10 years 2009 until 2021. His PO is Shanta Johnson in TN and he has a job lined up here in the state of which I reside in. His place of resident would be here with me in Clermont, Fl.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

The probationer has to be in good compliance with probation to transfer his probation to another state and owe no fees or fines. As that ccondition appears to be met, the easiest way to transfer your probation to another state would be to seek a mandatory transfer via the Interstate Compact. That's the agreement which regulates and provides for the transfer of probationers and parolees from one state to another.

The probationer would also need to have a valid plan for supervision in Florida: family and a place to stay in the receiving state, and a job which would provide him with a lawful means of support. Once he has this, he can ask his PO to fill out the paperwork for a mandatory transfer and the PO will have to get this started for him. He cannot move there first and obtain the formal transfer later. Until his transfer is approved he would have to remain in Tennessee.

On the receiving end however, once Florida gets his application, the other state has an opportunity (45 days) to check out that his plan is valid. Unless they disapprove of the plan, they cannot deny him the transfer. You can find the information about the Interstate Compact here by clicking on the link. The transfer rules and regs begin on page 23.

ICOTS is the Internet Compact's Offender Tracking System.<a id="89" "="" data-cke-saved-href="" href="" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" style="background: transparent; border: 0px; margin: 0px; outline: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; text-decoration: underline; color: rgb(27, 146, 171);">