Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

How to obtain legal authority over my 86yr old father?..I'm

Customer Question
How to obtain legal authority...
How to obtain legal authority over my 86yr old father?..I'm on disability..mentally astute!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
10/17/2016
Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Attorney replied 1 year ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

Dear Customer,

If your father is no longer able to make decisions for himself (lacks the ability to control his finances to provide for his basic needs (food, shelter, clothing), or is unable to care for himself, you may petition the probate court for a conservatorship or guardianship over your father.

I do recommend speaking with a local probate attorney to assist you in this process (the courts take this matter very seriously as a conservatorship is effectively removing some of your father's civil rights from him - he is entitled to a jury trial and an attorney to represent him in the proceeding).

CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney