How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How to obtain legal authority over my 86yr old father?..I'm

Customer Question

How to obtain legal authority over my 86yr old father?..I'm on disability..mentally astute!
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 9 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 9 months ago.

Dear Customer,

If your father is no longer able to make decisions for himself (lacks the ability to control his finances to provide for his basic needs (food, shelter, clothing), or is unable to care for himself, you may petition the probate court for a conservatorship or guardianship over your father.

I do recommend speaking with a local probate attorney to assist you in this process (the courts take this matter very seriously as a conservatorship is effectively removing some of your father's civil rights from him - he is entitled to a jury trial and an attorney to represent him in the proceeding).