Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law
20355756

If I've been paying my apt complex with billpay from bank

Customer Question

If I've been paying my apt complex with billpay from bank w/o problems, can they insist now that I use only THEIR online payment portal? (I'd prefer them NOT to have my bank acct info)
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello there --

-

I wish I could tell you that you could tell your LL where they can go with this manner of payment, but the legal truth is that a LL CAN require a specific manner and method of payment from every tenant and if you do not want to do it that way there is no legal recourse that you can use to fight the LL about this. So long as the instructions from LL are clear and the method of payment is not so oppressive as to keep you from accessing it, then you have to use their preferred method of payment.

-

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating above in the star rating section so I will be given credit for my time assisting you today? I do not receive any credit from Just Answer for helping you unless you press the middle star or the fourth or fifth star to the right of the middle star in the star ratings section above -- I genuinely appreciate it !! THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!

-

MARY

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm only 3-1/2 mo. into my initial lease term and lease didn't stipulate method of payment other than 'not cash'. Today the tenants re'cd a note on apt doors with new rule of "check or m.o. brought to office" (being disabled, I can't always walk to office) or "signing up for/using their new online pymt portal after getting their assist. signing up for it". Can I just play dumb, keep paying as I am w/o penalty?
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello again --

-

You could play dumb, and you will probably get away with it for a little while. However, if they put it in writing, then that can be a legitimate correction or amendment to the lease. My suggestion here is to continue to pay it in the manner in which you have been paying it and wait until they ask you about it again and then try to discuss a method that will work for you. Many online bill pay methods through a bank actually send a check to the recipient so you may want to check with your own bank to see how they do it or if they can actually send a check to their offices to be there on the date that your rent is due.

-

MARY