Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My nephew hit & killed a man w/his car in Phillie. My nephew

Customer Question
was play basket ball (in...
My nephew hit & killed a man w/his car in Phillie. My nephew was play basket ball (in a gym) earlier that day & bump heads w/another player, rec'd a cut over his eye. He & the other guy did not what to go to hospital. On the way home my nephew feel asleep @ wheel & that's when the accident happen. His Legal aid lawyer is telling him to take a plea the most he get is 2 - 6 years if he goes to trial he can get 7 to 12 years. Because he has no prior arrest the aid is saying he should get 2 years parole or work camp release program. This young man is like a son to me, always in my house ( every weekend) I have 2 deaf sons ( 1 his age & a 20yr old). My Ques. Is - If I get a lawyer @ this time will he face gail time & is it to late @ this time?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
10/16/2016
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

What has happened in court? How long ago did the accident happen? Has the nephew agreed to take the plea yet?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's a small town in Phllie, the man was a father & husband. Do not have the date it happened, but it was like 1&1/2 years ago. He has not agreed to anything yet, his court date is Wed. 10/19/16

First off, there's no guarantee he won't face jail time no matter who you hire. However, a retained lawyer will almost certainly put more time into the case than one who is court appointed.

That's the main advantage, a private lawyer only takes on the number of cases they can handle while a public defender normally gets overloaded.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do we still have the time to get a lawyer & if so how do my family & I go about it? Tell them on the 19 th that we want to get a lawyer?

Yes, you still have time to go and hire a lawyer. You can likely find one tomorrow and meet with them on the next day and then they will take over trying to get substituted into the case.

You can find a lawyer by going to www.lawyers.com and entering Criminal Law in the section for area of practice.

The lawyer may also want to look into whether that bump on your nephew's head could have caused him to black out, which would be a defense.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney