Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My ex-husband and I have been divoe, My ex-husband and I

Customer Question
My ex-husband and I have...
My ex-husband and I have been divoe
JA: The Fraud Examiner will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Fraud Examiner can help you best.
Customer: My ex-husband and I have been divorced since 2003
JA: Is there anything else the Fraud Examiner should be aware of?
Customer: His insurance company paid for some of my medical bills incurred since the divorce. Now they want him to reimburse them (almost $12,000) I have had a lot of medical bills but have not tried to use his insurance. I am a medicare and denali care recipient. I feel the insurance company should go back to the doctors/hospitals to be reimbursed. Should my ex husband's insurance be trying to get the money from us? He has heard from them twice. They should not have paid the bills without confirming that the bills were due.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
10/15/2016
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you.

I'm confused. Are you saying that the doctors were paid for $12,000 of services that they didn't perform?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No. I did have medical service and though I am on medicare and denali care, the medical billing department must have gotten my name with my ex husbands name and his insurance info. The insurance co. must not have checked to see if it was an approved charge. And, the hospital/doctor must have seen the medicare and denali care info and chosen to go with my exes insurance. Now all these years later they somehow found out that they hadn't needed to pay the bill and rather than going back to the hospital/doctor they are billing my ex, David. I always get a copy of the bills that medicare and medicaid have paid but I don't know about these bills because I was emotionally and physically in bad shape at the time.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I had back surgery nearly 3 years ago and the hospital still had me down as David's dependent and I truly believe that the information was corrected at that time and David has not gotten any bills or even a paper stating that any of my bills had not been paid. I have since had five more surgeries and my insurances have paid all of those expenses including air fare for my and my escort's transportation.

Thank you for the information. This is a bit out of my area of specialization, unless they are accusing your ex of fraud, which does not appear to be the case. So I'm going to opt out so that someone with more experience in insurance law can take up this question.

Lawyer: Brandon M., Counselor at Law replied 1 year ago
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law

Good day, my name is Brandon. Based on your description of events, it appears that the medical service providers simply billed the wrong insurance -- had they billed medicare / danali,, this probably wouldn't be happening right now. Am I understanding correctly?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The insurance co. has not said anything about any more current bills so I am assuming that that they have not gotten those.

I see. What a mess. Has David's insurance company sent him a bill with an explanation of the charges, or anything or the sort?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I sent in the credit card number and was told that one went through. Have been waiting for Brandon to call.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay. Have had to be in and out. Will be at the number I gave you for another 1 1/2 hrs. Then won't be back for another 1 1/2 hours.Then should be here for the rest of the day. Don't know your time zone. It's10:30 on the west coast. The east cost is 4 hours ahead of us.

Good day. My apologies, but I didn't receive a number to call. I'm on the West Coast - California, specifically. I'm available off and on (I answer questions when I am available throughout the day). If you would like a call, just submit the premium service request, and I'll get in touch as soon as possible. Thanks.

Tina, Lawyer