How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33380
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a letter from the state of Illinois stating that

Customer Question

I received a letter from the state of Illinois stating that I own overpayment of food stamps from 1983 to 1986.It's like $4700.They also said it was an agency error do I really have to pay this back?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Filed or reported to whom?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 9 months ago.

Assuming that the amount is correct, then yes they would expect you to pay it back. Generally, the statute of limitations doesn't apply to the government bringing a lawsuit.

In addition, even though it was their mistake, you would still be expected to pay the amount back. You would have an argument as to not having to pay interest or penalties or anything like that.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.