Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Can a felon have a non-working gun on their premesis, which

Customer Question

Can a felon have a non-working gun on their premesis, which is also a business? The gun is used for a display to show a dipping technique. Again the gun doesn't work. Is this a violation when their probation officer comes for home inspections?
Thanks
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

In what US state?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Indiana
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Please give me some minutes to look up Indiana gun laws and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

Indiana makes no distinction between an inoperable and an operable gun. Both are considered firearms. Given that, you could be violated if your probation officer found your display.

You can see the law and the analysis of it in the attached case, which holds that it is sufficient that the gun was designed to be able to expel a projectile by means of an explosion and not whether it is now in working order.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.